Equality falls every Monday at 7:00 am PST, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 am PST, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overview, Spotify and all the legs!
2021 in tech - TechCrunch
Hello and welcome back to Equity, a podcast about startups where we unravel the numbers and nuance behind the heads.
It's just about Christmas, which means you're probably in the family right now. Whatever holiday you might celebrate, if there are any, there is a good chance that you are surrounded by more people than usual. We are here to draw you away from that.
To make sure you get relief from Actual Human Interaction, the Equity team has taken a look back at the year. Big numbers? Look up. Big topics? You know it. Big minutes of waiting, did that happen this year ?! 'Well, we wouldn't have it any other way.
Here's what we have for you:
- High-rise venture capital stats from the year, from all over the world including India, Latin America, and the United States.
- Raising memes and money: Remember the Gamestop / stonk saga? That was it this year, surprisingly. So too was the Robinhood IPO, just listing Coinbase, and several other related stories. Yes, by the end of the year we had moved on to other pieces of headline news, but do not forget how wild the beginning of 2021 was from a trade perspective.
- The crypto upgrade: Love it or hate it, crypto was one of the top starters this year. Capital raids into NFT markets, crypto infra projects, new blockchain, and more. It was gold rushes, but all the gold was digital.
- A changing creative economy: We had little choice but to talk, chat, chat, yammer about yammering. Yes, we disagreed with the ups and downs of the Clubhouse, and the larger audio market. Podcasts, videos, and the creator's economy as a whole were pretty big reports this year, so we talked through what went down.
- We also talked about remote work, fintech, insurtech mistakes, media startups, and a grip on topics that you, the Equity family, posted via Twitter.
Did we get to it all? Heck no. We didn't even get close. But that’s because 2021 was a busy busy year. He started busy and never traveled. What do we expect in 2022? Well, just wait for next week's program!