A 'major' hockey attack has hit government websites in Ukraine

A major hockey attack has hit government websites in Ukraine

A 'massive' cyber attack has taken down several government websites in Ukraine, including the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Education and Science.

A statement by Ukrainian police says that cyber attackers have left "provocative messages" on the main pages of government websites, which have been taken offline - but no personal data has been altered or stolen.

The country's cyber police department is working with the State Special Communications Service and the Ukrainian security service to investigate the attacks. As of Friday morning, some of the websites have been updated, while others are offline.

SEE: A successful strategy for cybersecurity (ZDNet special report)

“As a result of a major cyber attack, the websites of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and several other government agencies have been down for some time. Oleg Nikolenlo, spokesman for the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry, he said on Twitter.

Websites affected by the attack include those of the Ukrainian cabinet, several ministries and a state services website, which stores electronic passports and vaccine certificates.

Josep Borrell, the EU's senior representative for foreign affairs and security policy, said the European Union was moving "all its resources" to support Ukraine in the wake of the cyber attack.

"This deserves the strongest criticism," he told reporters, according to Bloomberg, adding: "Of course I can't identify anyone because I have no evidence, but we can think.

At present, no - one has specifically claimed responsibility for the attack or made serious allegations about its origins. However, it came just hours after the EU renewed economic sanctions on Russia another six months.

READ  Google gets hit with a new lawsuit over 'deceptive' location tracking - TechCrunch

Russia has previously been accused of carrying out several cyber attacks against Ukraine, including one that disrupted energy supply, causing power cuts in December 2015.

MORE FELLOWSHIP WITH THE SON

Related Posts

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.

Subir

We use cookies to ensure that we give the best user experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you agree. More information